Monday, October 13, 2008

A day in the life



Let me tell you what my typical day is like. Depending on whether I run in the morning, I can get up anywhere between 5 and 6 a.m. We have worship as a group at 6:30. Breakfast follows shortly after. Then, I get dressed up in my scrubs and head down to the MINSA clinic. MINSA stands for “Ministerio de Salud” and is the governmental health organization for Nicaragua. Our friend Jahnette is the sole nurse in charge of the clinic in Francia and is responsible for the entire village as well as some of the other surrounding villages all by herself! She says other health professionals don’t like to stay in Francia. It’s more uncomfortable than the bigger cities like Waspam or Puerto Cabezas. We don’t have electricity, or more importantly, ice cream here. But this is where the doctors are needed. Anyway, Jahnette lets us work with her throughout the day and is very good about interacting with us and teaching us. So far I’ve already participated in a delivery, given several shots, and helped to see patients and prescribe medication (all under her supervision, of course). I’m learning a lot, but I’m also realizing how much I don’t know. So, after the clinic we had back to “the hill” (what everybody calls where we live) and have some free time. I try to study Miskito, read a book, or watch some episodes of House with Mindy. My most important afternoon activity, however, is Bible study. Me and Mindy have been going to the houses of a couple families who live near us and going through Steps to Christ with them. The language barrier here makes it difficult sometimes (not everyone speaks Spanish) but I pray that any little seed I can plant will grow with the help of the Holy Spirit. Please, please, PLEASE keep these Bible studies in your prayers. If I leave here having done nothing but brought some people to Christ, I’ll be happy. Finally, at around 6 it gets dark, we have dinner, followed by another group worship, and a couple hours to relax. Sometimes we’ll watch a movie or Alias with the projector and a white sheet on the wall of the kitchen. If not, I’ll just read a book and go to bed. Usually this place is pretty much dead by 9 p.m. That’s pretty crazy to me who lived my life at southern complaining about 8 a.m. classes and couldn’t manage to go to bed before midnight! So that’s pretty much a day in the life of a Nicaraguan SM and what things are like around here. I’ll check back in a bit! Love and miss you all!

No comments: